- Fill the canner halfway with water.
- Preheat the water to 140 degrees for raw-packed foods and to 180 degrees F for hot-packed foods.
- Load filled jars, fitted with lids, into the canner rack and use the handles to lower the rack into the water, or fill the canner, one jar at a time, with a jar lifter.
- Add more hot water, if needed, so the water level is at least 1 inch above jar tops.Cover with the canner lid.
- Turn heat to its highest position until the water boils vigorously.
- Set a timer for the minutes required for processing the food.
- Lower the heat setting to maintain a gentle boil throughout the process schedule.
- Add more boiling water, if needed, to keep the water level above the jars.
- When jars have been processed for the recommended time, turn off the heat and remove the canner lid.
- Using a jar lifter, remove the jars and place them on a towel, leaving at least 1 inch of space between the jars during cooling.
Different Ways to CanEdit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.